Creating a shaded area between two signals, Max/min of a historic overlay

Go to solution Solved by Joe Reckamp,

Posted (edited)

Hello. I am trying to create an overlay of a signal for it's current values compared to the past 10 years, to create a simple visualization of current levels compared to historic levels as the signal follows a yearly periodic pattern. 

My current approach has been a bit tedious, but I've first shifted the signal individually by 1, 2, ..., 10 years, and then I've created two new signals from the max/min value of all the shifted signals as they overlap. This was done by using the zipWith function, since some years the signal was missing data. I used the formula recommended from this thread: 

I've played around with capsules a bit and I'm sure there's an easier way to accomplish this, but my following question will still be relevant regardless of the approach of creating the signal overlay.

I now have the signals displayed in one lane, but what I'd like to do is to make the area betwen the Max/min signals shaded, similar to how it looks in a Scorecard. From what I've seen in forum posts this was possible before with a tool called "boundary" as shown at the end of this thread:

However, I don't think this solution is possible anymore in the current version of SeeQ. I assume Scorecards can be used in a similar way, but I haven't been able to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Screenshot 2024-07-03 124403.png

Edited by Joel Korpi

• Seeq Team
  • Solution

Hi Joel,

Scorecards can indeed be used for this by adding thresholds as your max and min values (https://support.seeq.com/kb/R63/cloud/scorecard-metric#id-(R63)ScorecardMetric-AddingThresholds). If you want the shading between the two, then change the colors for the outside thresholds to blank/white and then choose an appropriate color for the between threshold to shade in between.

One thing to note though is that scorecards do not currently show in Capsule Time - if you'd like this feature, I'd suggest submitting a feature request ticket for CRAB-12176, which is our internal development feature request for that capability. 

On a side note, I think a simpler method for doing the max/min calculation that you were referring to would be to use Reference Profile with the signal and a yearly periodic condition (https://support.seeq.com/kb/latest/cloud/reference-profile). You can then use the reference statistic of maximum (or minimum) to generate your limit signals.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the quick response Joe!

The Scorecard with max/min threshholds worked well. I think I was on this path before but lost track somewhere, but this was exactly what I was looking for.

The Reference profile was also a very smooth way of fixing the threshholds for the 10 year period. I was a bit on this track already since I figured this was connected to yearly capsules, so I managed to fix this as well.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 132717.png